Nikon M Inverted

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Choronzon

Nikon M Inverted

Post by Choronzon »

I unearthed this a few days ago, complete with a scarce interference phase attachment. I can't photograph through it yet, as it needs a trinocular head, but the images with a 20x achromat look pretty good for its age. It needs a much stronger light source to do any video.
I remember working on these way back in the early 70's, state on the art for inverted microscopes back then and the Nikon flagship.Image
I am not young enough to know everything.

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

Beautiful machine! Thank you for sharing!

How do you like that interference phase attachment? I heard one can modify it to do Schlieren imaging: http://www.microscopy.cz/html/2514.html
Selling my Canon FD 200mm F/2.8 lens

Choronzon

Post by Choronzon »

Hi Fan,
I find the Interference Phase attachment rather obscure to set up, as there is very little information anywhere on it. But once set up properly, it is capable of fantastic results given the right specimens. It seems to work really well on thinner samples, just like regular phase contrast. in samples such as diatoms, one can get very nice colorful relief images less the halos as in phase contrast. I've seen a few of these attachments for the upright Nikon S series, but never for the M Inverted. The literature of the time did illustrate this attachment, along with color photos taken with it.
When I was starting my microscope service career there was an M Inverted at Rush Medical School in Chicago they were using for cell culture time lapse complete with the Nikon supplied plexiglass enclosure and Bolex 16mm electric motorized camera. Really state of the art for the time.
This system can only use the short barrel objective, I have found. The longer distance on modern 160 TL throws off the spacing focus of the phase rings in the telan lens system. Hopefully some of the Olympus short barrel objectives will also work, as I'll then have more options.
All in all, a very nice system with rock solid build quality you just can't find in modern microscopes.
The results are similar to the Zeiss Jena Interphako, except on an inverted microscope for live cell imaging.
I am not young enough to know everything.

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

Choronzon,

Dave Jackson of Better Microscopy has such a IPC unit on his upright Labophot I.

He tried DIN Nikon CFN 40x 0.70 Plan objectives (and some other objectives) and got good results:
http://bettermicroscopy.blogspot.co.uk/ ... t.html?m=1

He has a rare AO Polanret unit (with similar variable phase function for infinity system) too.

Maybe you can contact him, if you want? He has been very kind and helpful to me.
Selling my Canon FD 200mm F/2.8 lens

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic