Reichert Biovar Diavar microscopes

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Protos

Reichert Biovar Diavar microscopes

Post by Protos »

Hello
I recently acquired a Reichert Diavar trinocular: it is a nice machine equiped with infinite objectives !
Surprisingly there is almost no information on the web (apart for a Diavar 2 pdf file in german)
My main request is to get information about equipment compatibilities, especially regarding DIC/Nomarski.
(Several science papers indicate Diavar microscope fitted with Nomarski.)
BTW why so few messages about Reichert microscopes ?
Zeiss Axiophot, transmitted and Fluorescence
BK5000, Transmitted and CP
Wild M20

phil m

Post by phil m »

Sorry for the late reply to your post but I somehow just noticed it.

I'm guessing your question relates to why there are so few posts related to Reichert on this or other forums? The situation may be different on European forums, where Reichert was more heavily marketed.

Many of Reichert's microscopes were never marketed in North America. American Optical owned Reichert, and the two companies cooperated on development. Thus you see Reichert, varying from their tried and true attachment to the 160mm system changing to infinity with new introductions, while while continuing to hold on to the Zetopan system as well, which was well established in North America. AO kind of held sway with infinity corrected microscopes in North America, until the 90's and since the Diavar was very similar in concept to the AO series 400 Diastar , it probably seemed like a poor idea to bring it over. This was also true of the Neovar 2 which was similar to the AO series 100, and in fact used AO infinity corrected short 34mm objectives, so in that case the export went the other way.

I can't say, I have ever seen any DIC components for the Diavar but there may not have been too many of them produced and for sure , those that were are probably still in use. There was DIC made for the Diastar, which may have been the same system used on the Diavar but those are few and far between too.
Last edited by phil m on Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Protos

Post by Protos »

Phil

I thank you for your kind reply.
I will then have a closer look for the Diastar systems
Zeiss Axiophot, transmitted and Fluorescence
BK5000, Transmitted and CP
Wild M20

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic