FAQ: There's a PM stuck in my Outbox. What's wrong?

Here are summaries and links to discussions for Frequently Asked Questions.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

FAQ: There's a PM stuck in my Outbox. What's wrong?

Post by rjlittlefield »

Question: There's a PM stuck in my Outbox. What's wrong?

This behavior is confusing but normal. When a PM is "sent", it goes simultaneously to the sender's Outbox and the recipient's Inbox. The PM will remain in the sender's Outbox until the recipient logs in and reads the message. At that time, on the sender's side the message will magically migrate from Outbox to Sentbox. You can think of it as a somewhat bizarre form of read receipt.

So, the message that appears stuck in your Outbox just means that your recipient has not read the PM you sent.

In some cases the forum software will automatically send a notification email to the recipient of a PM, to notify them that a PM is waiting. But many people do not have that notification turned on, and even if they do, the standard format email may get rejected by spam filters. So, in cases where a PM goes unread for a long time, it's probably a good idea to send an email through the forum also. That will work unless the recipient has specified a non-working email address or that message also is blocked by some spam filter, both of which happen from time to time.

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic