Butterfly Scales DIC

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

houstontx

Butterfly Scales DIC

Post by houstontx »

Butterfly Scales DIC shot through Eyepiece. Looking for a method to get more scales in the frame. Very difficult to concentrate them on the slide.

Jacek

Post by Jacek »

Nice

carlos.uruguay

Post by carlos.uruguay »

Nice image

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Very nice. I hesitate to criticize but it looks like it has not been white-balanced. I think it might be improved by white-balancing in Photoshgop or similar program.

houstontx

Post by houstontx »

Lou,

You are correct I did not white balance. These are single shots using a point and shoot through the eyepeice. The scales are black and orange from a painted lady butterfly. I wanted to share the structure of the scales, the barb at the end is very interesting to me. Here is another DIC image of scales on the wing where the barbs are clearly visible attached to the wing. I am on the hunt for a canon dslr so I can take better photos...Image

genera

Re: Butterfly Scales DIC

Post by genera »

houstontx wrote: . . . Looking for a method to get more scales in the frame. Very difficult to concentrate them on the slide.
Scrape the wing with the edge of a slide while holding it over a loose sheet of paper. Once you've collected enough roll up the paper and tap it to slide the scales out of the tube and onto the slide.

When you're collecting the scales move around the wing so that you get a good representative sample of the different shapes, colors, and sizes.
-Gene

houstontx

Post by houstontx »

Gene,

Thanks for the tip I will try it out. I am trying to use oil or nail polish eventually to mount, it will be interesting to see how the scales disperse during contact with liquid.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic