Excellent video explaining the technical side of microscopy

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

GaryB

Excellent video explaining the technical side of microscopy

Post by GaryB »

The video was posted recently by Peter Evennett and it's very detailed, very practical and easy to follow for those who like to know how light paths travel and where it all goes and how it all works. An extremely informative, relaxed presentation.

Set aside an hour and enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60_jgZtyR6U

Tom Jones

Post by Tom Jones »

Gary,

Thanks for the link. The video does a very nice job of demonstrating light paths and image formation. I wish I had seen it years ago! :shock:

Tom

boomblurt

Post by boomblurt »

This video is excellent, and I love the format where it's all done at the microscope - makes it much plainer imho.

Thank you for the link.
Geoff

GaryB

Post by GaryB »

Yep, he's an excellent tutor and shows things in a much more interactive fashion. Far better than a bunch of diagrams and talking heads. He goes into all the why's and wherefores and demonstrates exactly what should happen and why. It's the most comprehensive walk-through on the subject I've yet found and I've been looking everywhere.

Most only explain how, not why. He does a great job with both. Admittedly his setup is a lot more advanced than mine and I'm struggling to replicate it because mine is an old brass scope with a mirror and I'm building the light source for Köhler illumination myself. I can't center the condenser because it's not adjustable in that way, it only goes up and down so I'll need to get creative to make it work properly but I'm determined to make it work one way or another.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic