Maiden Excursions Into the Microworld

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

PeglegOS

Maiden Excursions Into the Microworld

Post by PeglegOS »

Well, I have the new microscope set-up. I've been experimenting with it. It's truly fasinating to see things as I've never seen them before.

I've done the normal beginer things. Onion skins, celery and blood. The blood being the most interesting. It moves! Looks like little rivers flowing through the deltas. Since I'm diabetic, I'm used to punching holes in my fingers, so blood is easy to come by. Of course, my wife isn't a diabetic and it was harder to get her blood. :D

Then I found this little speck on my window sill. Popped it into the scope, focused and lo and behold, it had legs. It looked like a grain of sand without the scope.

I then went to my aquarium, took an eyedropper of water, dropped a drop onto a well slide and lowered the cover on it. Put it into the scope and NOTHING MOVED! Tried a few more drops, still nothing. On the fifth try, something was moving in there! A small round object with spikes all over it. It darted all over the FOV. I watched it for around 30 minutes. I then had to go eat. It was gone when I returned and haven't found another since. Gonna have to get some pond water.

I've learned a lot during my first explorations. One thing I really learned is that I have a lot to learn.

I find I can simulate darkfield using the filter holder partly open, with the frame covering part of the entry of light into the stage. I adds some dimension to the objects you are looking at. I now know I need to get the darkfield condenser that is offered for this scope.

Thanks for reading this far folks. More to follow in the coming days.
Revelation III Compound
Nikon D50
Canon A10
Canon A1
Mamiya RB67 Pro

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

All right! A new microscopist! Congratulations.

If you have a filter in that aquarium you might want to try looking at some of the "gunk" that is trapped there, or perhaps scrape off a little of the build-up on the inside of the glass. Even in a very productive pond it's not always that easy to find something swimming around in "open water". The highest subject concentrations are usually found attached to, or near some substrate or debris. (or sometimes concentrated in a sample jar on the side that gets "window" light.)

Keep looking and you will find critters that make the space bar scene in Star Wars look tame!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic