green above, red below

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

BugEZ

green above, red below

Post by BugEZ »

I have been photographing many long legged flies with striped eyes.

I have noticed that when I stack the eyes, the red colored ommatidia show up best when focused a bit below the eye surface and the green color shows best when photographed a bit above the eye surface. I would have guessed that the optimal (most colorful) position would have been the same.

Focused a bit above the surface... Image

Focused a bit beneath the surface...

These examples are rather typical. Sometimes the green shows a bit brighter than in this example.

A link to a youtube movie of a stack segment

https://youtu.be/vw-r9czfR0U

Thoughts?

Keith

enricosavazzi

Post by enricosavazzi »

I would not exclude the possibility that the observed phenomenon is in part caused by axial chromatic aberration of the lens. If the lens displays this type of chromatic aberration, it focuses red and green (or often green and purple) on slightly different planes.

What lens or lenses have you used to document this differential focusing plane?

Then there is also a possibility that the lenses of the ommatidia produce axial chromatic aberration, which would give the observed result.

A third possibility is that the orange and green ommatidia are structurally different and have similar internal structures but placed at different depths (which by the way might also be an adaptation to compensate for different axial chromatic aberration in the two types of ommatidia).
--ES

BugEZ

Post by BugEZ »

enricosavazzi wrote:
I would not exclude the possibility that the observed phenomenon is in part caused by axial chromatic aberration of the lens. If the lens displays this type of chromatic aberration, it focuses red and green (or often green and purple) on slightly different planes.
A possibility. The objective lens is a Olympus UMPlanFl 10X/.3NA. I use a Pentax 200mm telephoto as the prime. I do not observe axial chromatic aberration on other subjects.

enricosavazzi also wrote
Then there is also a possibility that the lenses of the ommatidia produce axial chromatic aberration, which would give the observed result.
General thinking is that the eye color results from multi layer interference filters on the cornea of the ommatidium lens, and that the reflected light is colored by differentials between the filters on the surface. I think this would be in front of the refractive errors of the lens.

A PDF of Miller and Bernard's paper on corneal interference filters can be downloaded here...

http://iovs.arvojournals.org/article.as ... id=2166697

enricosavazzi also wrote
A third possibility is that the orange and green ommatidia are structurally different and have similar internal structures but placed at different depths (which by the way might also be an adaptation to compensate for different axial chromatic aberration in the two types of ommatidia).
I think that there may be structural differences also. I have not figured out exactly what they may be. Some critters use colored liquids in their eyes to provide color filters for the optical sensors. I am starting to wonder if that may be the case here also.

Another possibility is that this is a "blur" phenomena. I notice in the stacked images that the "green" ommatidium look more yellow with a blue border. Perhaps the out of focus green is a combo of the blue border with the yellow center. I may be able to laser print a test subject with yellow centers and blue borders and try some experiments...

Keith

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic