"Hours of entertainment

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

NikonUser

"Hours of entertainment

Post by NikonUser »

for the entire family” is how a snake-oil salesman might have touted Click Beetles in the old days (before TV).

Phylum Arthropoda (Arthropods)
Subphylum Hexapoda (Hexapods)
Class Insecta (Insects)
Order Coleoptera (Beetles)
Suborder Polyphaga (Water, Rove, Scarab, Long-horned, Leaf and Snout Beetles)
Superfamily Elateroidea (Click, Firefly and Soldier Beetles)
Family Elateridae (Click Beetles)

Click Beetles are the adults of wireworms and with about 1,000 species in NA are often quite common. The adults have a unique behaviour which, when first seen, borders on the unbelievable. When placed on their backs they are able to launch themselves into somersaults with (I’m guessing) a 50:50 probability of landing on their feet where they can run away. I am not knowledged enough to explain how they accomplish such a jump; this article tries to explain the mechanics:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3116849/

The ability to somersault-jump depends on some unique (?) morphology. In most (?) beetles the 3-segmented thorax consists of one inflexible 2nd & 3rd unit connected by a moveable joint to the 1st segment. In Click Beetles there is a far more flexible membrane (fm) between the 1st and 2nd thoracic segments. Ventrally there is a spine (sp) on the 1st thoracic segment that fits into a deep groove (gv) on the 2nd thoracic segment between the leg bases. The flexible membrane and the peg-and-socket joint are intimately involved in the jumping mechanism.

Top: ventral view of 1st and 2nd thoracic segments of a Melanotus sp.; note the almost complete separation between the two segments (joined and far less flexible in other beetles)
Bottom: side view
Both images with Apo Componon lenses; ZS PMax
Image Image
Last edited by NikonUser on Sun May 31, 2015 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

TheLostVertex

Post by TheLostVertex »

Indeed they are quite fun. When I was a kid I would always play with them, seeing how heigh some of them could go. Some very large ones did not do so well, but smaller ones were able to go amazingly heigh sometimes. Until today I had never read about how they accomplished this.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Nicely shot, as always!

Click beetles were a great fascination for me as a kid. A few years ago when I was just getting started with this digital photography stuff I set out to learn what I could about how the trick works. It was very educational!

Results (in order) are in the "Old Forums / Galleries":

http://www.photomacrography1.net/forum/ ... php?t=5080
http://www.photomacrography1.net/forum/ ... php?t=5101
http://www.photomacrography1.net/forum/ ... php?t=5112

The second link has a video that I find very helpful to understand the mechanism. I've just now reformatted it for QuickTime, which I really like as a viewer because it provides immediate and continuous press-and-drag on the timeline slider. That format can be found HERE.

--Rik

TheLostVertex

Post by TheLostVertex »

Ah, the video is very helpful. I feel like between all the information here I have a pretty reasonably understanding of the function now. :)

brentbristol

Post by brentbristol »

Fascinating! The video is quite interesting!
The trouble with quick and dirty is that the dirty remains after the quick is gone.

Carmen

Post by Carmen »

thank you NU! nice work, and informative!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic