Fossil diatom arrangement - Triskele second attempt

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Thanks Dave. The pic is just a 5-image stack taken in bright field using a 2.5/0.08 objective - the only one I have that will fit the entire arrangement in a single frame. Pretty low res and therefore somewhat soft IMO.

But you're right, it does show the diffraction colours nicely. Compare the hires image below, taken with a 10/0.35 Planapo (15 mosaiced stacks). Obviously it lost fine detail being downsized from 6k to 1k square for posting here but it's a lot sharper and will make a nice A2 print. Not sure if it necessarily looks better than the other one when displayed here though.

I've added a closeup of the centre of the rightmost spiral as a final shot of this arrangement.

Tom Jones

Post by Tom Jones »

Absolutely stunning!

Cactusdave

Post by Cactusdave »

That stack and stitch with the X10 is extremely nice, and a lot of work too in my experience. Your backgrounds are so very clean and the diatoms really are crisp.
Leitz Ortholux 1, Zeiss standard, Nikon Diaphot inverted, Canon photographic gear

Litonotus

Post by Litonotus »

great!
my FB page

I'm looking for the the extemely rare V-IM magnification changer for the E800 scope. If you have seen a listing or have one for sale please let me know.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

This is glorious work!
Beatsy wrote:[lowres] does show the diffraction colours nicely. Compare the hires image below, taken with a 10/0.35 Planapo (15 mosaiced stacks).
An idle thought: what happens if you pull both images into Photoshop, upsize the lowres one and align it with the hires, then convert to Lab color and make a new image from the hires L channel and lowres ab (color)? I'm wondering if this would preserve the nice colors that we see in the first image, while also keeping the fine detail that we see in the second.

--Rik

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

rjlittlefield wrote: An idle thought: what happens if you pull both images into Photoshop, upsize the lowres one and align it with the hires, then convert to Lab color and make a new image from the hires L channel and lowres ab (color)? I'm wondering if this would preserve the nice colors that we see in the first image, while also keeping the fine detail that we see in the second.

--Rik
Yup - it works fine - here's one I prepared earlier.

Great minds and fools etc... :D

[edit: uploaded wrong image initially. And sorry about same image 3 times, won't upload any more of this one - honest]

Raaj

Fabulous!

Post by Raaj »

Wow! Absolutely amazing arrangement and definitely the best I have seen. Well done, Sir. I can't even begin to imagine how much patience and meticulousness this sort of arrangement requires.

Cheers!
-raaj

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

Absolutely splendid!
Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Beatsy wrote:Yup - it works fine - here's one I prepared earlier.
[edit: uploaded wrong image initially. And sorry about same image 3 times, won't upload any more of this one - honest]
Beautiful -- well worth the cost of a couple of spare uploads!

--Rik

Fredlab

Post by Fredlab »

Excellent
:shock:
I apologise for my poor english
My blog (Macro Micro World)
My gallery

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic