First 6D shot

Every 30 days the site administrators will pick an image made through a microscope from the "Photography Through the Microscope Gallery" to be featured on the front page of the www.amateurmicrography.net website.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

jin

First 6D shot

Post by jin »

After shooting many shots with 450D and notice its noise level is still high at low light area I tried shooting with 6D (my 1st attempt) with 1.4x and found noise level is much lower with compared with 450D IMHO.

White Royal butterfly egg (Pratapa deva relata)

abpho

Post by abpho »

Image looks great.
I'm in Canada! Isn't that weird?

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

This is a spectacular image. The fine detail of the egg makes a really nice contrast of textures against the frothy/frilly appearance of the leaf hairs. Lighting and sharpness are excellent.

I'm thinking this doesn't really fit as initially placed, in the Beginner's forum.

Any objections if I move it to the regular Microscope gallery so that it will get the attention it deserves?

--Rik

jin

Post by jin »

abpho wrote:Image looks great.
Hi abpho, Rik, thanks for the kind words.

Rik, I'm fine if you think this fits in to the Microscope gallery better.

Regards,
jin

Jacek

Post by Jacek »

:shock:

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

Excellent!

Could you tell us what microscope equipment you were using and how you set-up lighting for this photo?
... (my 1st attempt) with 1.4x ...
Was it a 1.4x objective you were using on your microscope? Or what is the "1.4x" referring to?

--Betty
Atticus Finch: "You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view
- until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
Lee, N. H. 1960. To Kill a Mockingbird. J. B. Lippincott, New York.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Good questions, Betty!

The caption at http://s40.photobucket.com/user/HuDie/m ... 7.jpg.html (linked from the image) says this:
180mm tube length, Nikon 10x Objective & 1.4X extension tube, 6D and 580 EX I flash. 4um step
I'm thinking the "1.4X extension tube" means a teleconverter with lenses, not an empty tube.

But I'm curious about the "180mm tube length". Does this mean an infinite objective used on combination with a 180mm converging lens? Or is it a finite objective used on 180 mm of empty extension (followed by the teleconverter)? The similar looking image at http://s40.photobucket.com/user/HuDie/m ... 8.jpg.html says "Nikon 10x/0.28 160mm tube lens". Now I'm really puzzled, because to my knowlege Nikon doesn't make a 10x/0.28. Mitutoyo maybe? Or Nikon 10X/0.25?

Also, now I'm wondering whether this was shot A) using a microscope body, or B) using a microscope objective added to camera as suggested in the FAQ: How can I hook a microscope objective to my camera? (If it's B then we should move the topic again, to the Macro gallery.)

Sorry for all the questions!

Can you clarify?

--Rik

RogelioMoreno

Post by RogelioMoreno »

Beautiful shot!

Rogelio

arturoag75

Post by arturoag75 »

Amazing shot! :shock:

jin

Post by jin »

Planapo wrote:Excellent!

Could you tell us what microscope equipment you were using and how you set-up lighting for this photo?
... (my 1st attempt) with 1.4x ...
Was it a 1.4x objective you were using on your microscope? Or what is the "1.4x" referring to?

--Betty
Hi Betty,

1.4x referring to a Kenko teleplus 1.4x teleconverter, see pic below for setup info, which is self explanatory :-)
Rgds,
jin

jin

Post by jin »

Hi Rik,

Sorry for the confusion, I should be more accurate with my caption, figure were not with my mind when I typed :-)

See pic at above for setup and equipment used for shooting the eggs and correction of captions:

Equipment used for egg pic in this post:
180mm tube length (from shoulder of objective to CCD), Nikon 10X/0.25, 160/- WD5.6 objective &amp and 1.4X extension tube Teleplus Pro 300 teleconverter, Canon 6D and 580EX I flash, @4um step.

Similar looking egg in photobucket:
Nikon 10x/0.25 160/- WD5.6 160mm tube (shoulder of obj. to CCD), 4um step. Canon 450D + 580EX I flash.

Rgds,
jin

Marek Mis

Post by Marek Mis »

Very impresive image !

Marek

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Great description -- thanks for the info!

--Rik

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

You know, these days when I look at things such as this I often wonder, just how does the DNA know to code for such an elaborate design such as this? :smt017 One can speculate over many reasons for the design of course but knowing just how the A's, T's, C's, and G's all get placed in the right sequence to produce this beautiful design both amazes and baffles me at the same time. I got a lot of reading up and studying to do and of course most all of it will be over my head but if I don't make the attempt, it will stay there ... over my head. :lol:

Wonderful image and well taken. Congrats! :smt023

johan

Post by johan »

Good choice for photo of the month, it's such a beautiful image!
My extreme-macro.co.uk site, a learning site. Your comments and input there would be gratefully appreciated.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic