Mitty M Plan Apo 100x/0.70 WD 6

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Pawel

Mitty M Plan Apo 100x/0.70 WD 6

Post by Pawel »

hey, does anyone have samples from stacking with this lens ???
I know that it is too high magnification in relation to the NA aperture but I am curious about the image quality.
Is it really weak and does not add much more than the 50x / 0.55 lens ??
I don't know if it's profitable to buy it.
Thanks

Chris S.
Site Admin

Re: Mitty M Plan Apo 100x/0.70 WD 6

Post by Chris S. »

Pawel,

I use both the Mitutoyo 50x/0.55 and the 100x/0.70. I’ve also tested other people’s specimens of both lenses, so know that my particular lenses are good ones. However, I don’t have examples of stacks at hand that I’m at liberty to share.

When my interest is supporting scientific study or satisfying my own curiosity, I sometimes find myself wanting that last bit of available detail, and reach for the 100/0.70. Mitutoyo rates the 50/0.50 as resolving 0.5 microns, and the 100/0.70 as resolving 0.4 microns. My sense is that both objectives do a bit better than promised, but would agree with the degree of difference—the 100/0.70 gives me about 0.1 micron of added detail. This is useful to some of us, but not to others.

Of course, that extra 0.1 micron of detail comes in an image that is at 100x magnification instead of 50x magnification; doubling the magnification in two dimensions spreads the image across four times as much visual real estate. So even though the 100x image includes extra information, people often won’t perceive the images as being as sharp as with the 50x.

So if one is interested primarily in the aesthetics of photomicrography, they may be unhappy with a lens working so far in diffraction territory as the 100/0.70. On the other hand, if one is interested in seeing that last scintilla of information, they may be well-served by the 100/0.70. Even this user should be aware, though, that we are talking about a modest amount of additional information—it’s not a sea change.

Does any of this help?

--Chris S.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I imagine the 100x is nearly telecentric? If so, you could stitch four of its images and duplicate the FOV of the 50x but at a 25% higher resolution.

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Lou Jost wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:40 am
I imagine the 100x is nearly telecentric? If so, you could stitch four of its images and duplicate the FOV of the 50x but at a 25% higher resolution.
It can be treated as "effectively telecentric," as the depth of field is exceedingly shallow. So yes, I think stitching could work with it.

Pawel

Post by Pawel »

thanks for all the information. Unfortunately I cannot use it properly, therefore I will not buy it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic